FLOTUS: Dolley Payne Todd Madison
A.K.A.: Dolley Madison
D.O.B.: May 20, 1768
P.O.B.: Guilford County,
Province of North-Carolina,
Relationship to POTUS: Wife of James Madison
• Was previously married, but most family members except for her eldest son died from yellow fever
• Influential in the interior design of the White House as well as largely defining the hostess role of First Lady
• During the War of 1812, helped to save the portrait of George Washington, among other artifacts, when fleeing D.C. in 1814. She did not actually carry it.
• Was brought up Quaker but was expelled upon her marriage to non-Quaker Madison.
• Historians are ultimately not clear of the proper spelling of her name.
Describe in one (1) word: