FLOTUS Martha Dandridge Custis Washington
A.K.A.: Martha Washington
D.O.B.: June 2, 1731
P.O.B.: Chestnut Grove, Virginia, British America
Relationship to POTUS: Wife Of George Washington
- Was called “Lady Washington” (term “First Lady” was not coined yet).
- Did not live in the White House (it was not built yet).
- Had four children with her first husband; two survived until young adulthood.
- Gained control of thousands of acres and hundreds of slaves upon her first husband’s death. As a result, was quite rich.
- Was on the first U.S. postage stamp featuring an American woman in 1902.
Describe in one (1) word: